Illustration Department Mission
The mission of the Illustration Department is to prepare students who are passionate about drawing, painting, and storytelling for successful careers in Illustration.
Illustration Department Description
Our graduates make images for a wide range of commercial and social purposes, including entertainment arts, publishing, fine art, and surface design. Under the guidance of our professional artist faculty, each student develops a strong understanding of composition, gains excellent technical ability in both traditional and emerging media, and learns to tell compelling stories in creative ways.
The Illustration Curriculum and Faculty emphasize the following:
- Fundamental drawing mastery that combines observation and imagination to construct expressive images.
- High-level technical mastery of a range of media through experimentation & practice.
- Exceptional understanding and usage of visual language and compositional theory to compose dynamic illustrations.
- Highly effective communication and innovative storytelling.
- Development of a unique visual style and a high standard of professionalism.
The Illustration Department offers a general degree in Illustration, two concentration degrees, and one emphasis degree. Each concentration gives students an opportunity to focus on their elective choices and portfolio by taking two courses in Sequential Art (i.e., Comic Books & Graphic Novels) or Children’s Book Illustration. The emphasis degree in Concept Art prepares students to work as concept artists who design characters and environments for video games, animation studios, and the film industry.
Our degrees prepare students to produce work for a host of businesses whose needs depend on imaginative visual thinkers. These include advertising & design agencies, magazine and book publishers, comic book studios, animation & game studios, greeting card companies, medical illustration firms, and toy manufacturers. With a well-prepared portfolio and commitment to the profession, RMCAD graduates are well qualified for a variety of career opportunities.
Illustration Program Learning Outcomes
Illustration Program Learning Outcomes Rubric
- Students demonstrate an understanding of professional practice in Illustration.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in color and painting skills, using traditional and digital media.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in value and drawing skills, using traditional and digital media.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in composition.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in creative and critical thinking.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in storytelling and communication.
- Students demonstrate proficiency in technical skills, using traditional and digital media.